Interview Questions for Foreign Service Officers:
1. Which countries would you most like to work in and why?
Demonstrates candidates' willingness to travel and knowledge of foreign affairs.
2. How would you approach the promotion of your country's values to foreign political leaders?
Look for candidates who demonstrate diplomatic skills as well as strong communication skills. Take note of candidates who over-sell their ideas.
3. What steps would you take to assist in the evacuation of a refugee family?
Demonstrates candidates' knowledge of foreign policy.
4. What methods do you use to keep up with political developments?
Demonstrates candidates' political knowledge.
5. How would you handle being sent to live in a developing country with limited amenities and an unstable political environment?
Demonstrates candidates' willingness to live and work in dangerous or limited environments.