Literary Agent Job Description Template
We are looking for a driven and experienced literary agent to assist authors in securing favorable publishing contracts. The literary agent's responsibilities include acting as the main point of contact between authors and publishers, guiding authors through the publishing process, and taking the necessary steps to protect authors' interests. You should also be able to manage the careers of both new and existing authors effectively.
To be successful as a literary agent, you should be detail-oriented, persuasive, and able to keep abreast of the latest developments and trends in the publishing industry. Ultimately, an exceptional literary agent should be able to demonstrate excellent communication, analytical, and networking skills at all times.
Literary Agent Responsibilities:
- Developing and sustaining long-lasting relationships with Editors, Publishers, and Authors.
- Sorting through query letters to identify literary talent.
- Requesting sample chapters or complete manuscripts from promising Authors.
- Reading Authors' manuscripts to determine whether they have substantial market potential.
- Responding to rejected queries by sending form letters to the respective Authors.
- Working directly with Authors to suggest necessary changes to their manuscripts and to ensure that their manuscripts are ready to be submitted to Publishers.
- Pitching Authors’ manuscripts to suitable publishing houses.
- Negotiating favorable publishing deals on behalf of Authors.
- Offering Authors guidance, support, and encouragement.
Literary Agent Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in English language or literature, journalism, or a related field is preferred.
- Proven experience working as a literary agent.
- Sound knowledge of the publishing industry.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications.
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong networking and negotiation skills.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Exceptional reading, writing, and editing skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Detail-oriented and persuasive.