Scheduler Job Description Template
We are looking to hire an efficient scheduler to ensure that patients are correctly scheduled for appointments and procedures. The scheduler’s responsibilities include rescheduling and canceling appointments, scheduling referral appointments, and verifying patient’s demographical information. You should also be able to ensure that sufficient time is allocated to each appointment.
To be successful as a scheduler, you should be helpful and courteous when answering telephone calls. Ultimately, an exceptional scheduler should be able to build and maintain a good rapport with referring physicians and staff.
- Scheduling, rescheduling, and canceling patient appointments as required.
- Answering patients’ questions regarding basic medical tests and procedures.
- Providing instructions to patients to ensure that they are prepared for examinations and procedures.
- Confirming patient appointments.
- Courteously receiving incoming telephone calls and taking messages as needed.
- Explaining financial requirements and obligations to patients and entering payments into the practice management system.
- Scheduling referral appointments and follow-ups.
- Verifying insurance details and informing patients of un-covered fees.
- Filing documents and organizing supplies.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Post high school education is advantageous.
- Proven experience working in a medical office.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology and medical insurance plans.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- The ability to type and file accurately.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Good telephone etiquette.